How to ensure hygienic humidification
An optimum relative humidity of 40 – 60 % is required for a healthy indoor climate. Measure this either using the hygrostat that is integrated within the appliance or with an external hygrometer (e.g. Selina by Stadler Form). We recommend the following to ensure that your humidifier remains hygienic:
- Replace the accessories on a regular basis
- Fill the humidifier with fresh water on a daily basis
- Clean the inside and outside of the appliance at regular intervals
- Decalcify on a monthly basis depending on the water hardness
Air pollution such as household dust, pet hair, pollen and mites can also get into the appliance from the outside. Stagnant water, together with the contamination from the air, can be a breeding ground for bacteria.
Therefore, in addition to weekly cleaning, also make sure that the accessories on your appliance are replaced on a regular basis so as to reduce the growth of bacteria and germs as well as to maintain a high level of efficiency.
The Ionic Silver Cube™ continually emits precise quantities of silver ions into the water over the course of a year. From the moment they come into contact with the water, the silver ions have an inhibitory effect on bacterial growth and lead to more hygienic humidification.
The Ionic Silver Cube does indeed inhibit bacterial formation, but it is not a replacement for regular cleaning. For this reason, give your appliance a thorough cleaning with a brush on a weekly basis and rinse out the water tank. Depending on the hardness of the water, decalcify the appliance at least once a month and fill it with fresh water on a daily basis.
Regularly replacing the accessories means the following:
Ionic Silver Cube
The lifetime of the Ionic Silver Cube is around one year. Replace the Silver Cube before each new humidifier season.
To keep efficiency stable and ensure a hygienic humidification, the cassettes should be replaced every two months.
Effective for one to three months, depending on water hardness.
The lifetime of the anti-limescale ball is around one year.
Humidifiers on their own are not catapults for bacteria. The dirt we find in the appliance comes from air pollution such as household dust, animal hair, pollen and mites. If the water contaminated by this dirt then remains in the humidifier for a longer period of time and the accessories (e.g. evaporator cassettes, Ionic Silver Cube) are not replaced on a regular basis, this can be a breeding ground for bacteria and microbes.
This hygienic risk can be prevented by regular cleaning and replacement of accessories. The growth of microbes in the water is inhibited by the addition of the Ionic Silver Cube. A Silver Cube is not required for humidifiers that vaporise water by heating it up (e.g. Stadler Form Fred).
We recommend replacing the water at very regular intervals and to give the appliance a thorough cleaning in the process. This can prevent the risk of bacteria in the water.
If you actively humidify the air in your room, you must take care of the hygiene of your humidifier. The following should be noted:
- If you do not use the air humidifier, empty the water from the device and the water tank.
- Fill the appliance or the tank with fresh water on a daily basis.
- Clean the appliance on a weekly basis in order to inhibit the growth of bacteria and germs, even if no heavy calcification is discernible. Every 2 weeks: for internal cleaning, remove the filter cassettes and, where appropriate, decalcify the lower section on a regular basis depending on the hardness of the water (primarily applicably to vaporisers). Rinse out the lower section thoroughly after decalcification and then allow it to air out before you put the humidifier back into operation.
- Use the Ionic Silver Cube™ to inhibit the growth of bacteria and germs in the water
- Replace any accessories regularly (filter cassettes, anticalc cartridges, anti-limescale balls, Ionic Silver Cube™)
- For external cleaning, wipe down the air inlet and outlet with a wet cloth and then allow it to dry fully.
- With regard to Oskar little, Oskar and Oskar big, it is possible to clean the ventilator blades with a wet cloth in accordance with the cleaning label in the upper section of the appliance.
- With regard to Robert you can clean the particle filter at the air inlet with a brush.